#10 was a male, born at 10:22 p.m.  #11, another male, who was actually born at 12:06 a.m. on April 29th.  Alli continued having contractions and at about 3:30 a.m., I was getting very concerned.  No new pups had arrived so I woke the vet.  He told me to take her outside and walk her.  Well this was a huge challenge since she wouldn't even stand up!  I put all the pups in a box and left the room!  You can bet I had Alli in tow then!  She was freaked out but went outside with me in the wind and snow to potty and move about.  When we came back in we got all settled in again but still no pup.  I knew we had more but I couldn't stay awake any longer.  So I went to sleep in the next room at 5:00 a.m. and when I woke at 11:00 a.m. we had our 12th and last little female pup!  She was dry and nursing.  She is a bit small today and not growing like the rest so I have been supplementing her to give her the added boost she needs.  All the pups are doing well and Alli is resting and recovering from the very long labor.  Now for the fun and play to begin!  These little beings are sooooo adorable and fun to watch.  Let the laundry begin!!

Rocky Mountain Springer Spaniels

By Monday morning, puppy #1 was here, arriving at 10:33 a.m.  Puppy #2 was an hour later and #3 was 10 minutes after that!  They were all male and I was getting ready to see a cute little female, who arrived at 12:52 p.m..  Another little female came at 2:00 p.m.  Then tragedy struck.  Number six was a little tiny male that never took a breath.  I rubbed him for 50 minutes with a towel trying to revive him.  I prayed and had everyone that was texting me pray as well but to no avail.  He had a little teardrop on the top of his head and so with tears streaming down my face, I named him Teardrop, the pup that didn't make it.  10 minutes after he was born #7, another little female, was born at 3:53 p.m. and kept Alli's attention while I worked on Teardrop.  At 5:41 p.m., the fourth female, who looked like Alli with a spot on her bandana, was born.  It took 2 hours before the next little male was born at 7:43 p.m..  He was small and was breathing but not moving or crying because he didn't have the strength.  I tried to put him to mom for a drink but he didn't have the strength to suckle.  So I got out the supply of supplement and went to feeding him.  I fed him every hour and by the 3rd feeding he was squawking louder than any of the other pups!  Good set of lungs on this one, he just needed extra food in him!

Alli's Pups!! (My first dam that started RMSS)

Born April 28, 2014

Well, it has been a long couple of days.  I woke up on Sunday morning, the morning Alli was actually due, and took her temperature as I usually do.  Low and behold it had dropped to 99 degrees.  It needs to drop to 98 before I am sure she is going to start labor in the next 24 hours.  So at 7 a.m., an hour later, I took it again, poor girl.  Yay!  It was down to 98.4!  Houston! We have puppies on the way.  I had already had the nesting instinct hit the week before and got everything in the room ready so all I had to do was go to church.  I knew she wouldn't start for a while so I might as well stay busy.  Besides I wanted to pick one more item up from the store to be sure everything went well...I needed a heat lamp.  So off I went.


I arrived at home about 1 p.m. and all was fine.  We started into the night and I decided to turn on the heat mat so when they were born they would be warm.  Well, silly me. I got it too warm for Alli and she started panting.  I mistook this for labor and it took a long time before I realized what was going on!  So I opened the window and cooled her off, turned off the mat and Alli stopped panting.  She wasn't actually in stage 2 labor at all!  I just cooked her out of there!  Lesson learned because I lost a lot of sleep for nothing on Sunday night, camped next to the whelping pool, where she was trying to survive.